ECO DIVING PROGRAMS
The Takata Reef Ecology workshop is ideal for those who would like to learn more about our Mahahual environment and meet with our Research Center staff. This workshop can be paired with a fun diving package or dive certification course such as Open Water Diver or Advanced Open Water Diver. Contact us to find out more!
The Reef Ecology workshop is offered by our Research Center and is a basic introduction into the workings of our reef systems.
In an hour-long classroom session, you will be introduced to the following:
- Coral reef formation
- Coral biology
- Associated ecosystems (seagrass, dunes, mangroves)
- Ecosystem services
- Threats facing the reef in today´s current climate
- Solutions to help the reef to survive
This is not a certification course and is available for non-divers as well as certified divers.
The PADI Coral Conservation Specialty course helps you appreciate the complexity of coral reef habitats and teaches how you can help conserve these vital systems.
As certified divers, we love to spend time in warm, clear water on a vibrant coral reef, yet many divers know little about what they’re seeing or the importance of reef ecosystems. The Coral Reef Conservation Specialty course helps you appreciate the complexity of these habitats and teaches you how you can help conserve these vital systems.
Through classroom discussions, you learn:
- How coral reefs function and the complex nature of life on a reef
- Why coral reefs are so important
- Why many coral reefs are in serious trouble
- What you can do to prevent further decline
Following our theory session, we will dive on the beautiful reefs of Mahahual, where you will view the underwater world with a fresh perspective and understanding.
Included in the course: 1 dive, all rental equipment, special Project AWARE certification card, donation to Project AWARE
The Project AWARE Specialty course is an introduction to Project AWARE as a global movement for ocean protection. It focuses and expands on the 10 Tips for Divers to Protect the Ocean Planet. Through interactive discussions, you’ll learn how you can make a difference for ocean protection every time you dive or travel.
Through classroom workshops, you will:
- Be introduced to the Project AWARE movement.
- Understand the 10 Tips for Divers to Protect the Ocean Planet.
- Develop an action plan for how you can personally make a difference.
Included in the course: 1 dive, all rental equipment, special Project AWARE certification card, donation to Project AWARE.